Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A lot can happen in one week

Well, God really does answer prayer - even ones that are only thought and not spoken. Tomorrow I will be starting my new job as a marketing assistant for Advent Christian Village. This came out of nowhere last week. Bob heard about the opening, mentioned it to me and had HR pull my resume' to give to the opening manager, Karen Thomas. Karen called me for an interview on Friday and yesterday I was in talking to the new CEO, Craig Carter, about the position. I was not looking for a job and this definitely was God telling me that there was a better solution than me going to Sarasota in August to take care of Bob's mother. Now she will be coming up here to stay with us while Darlene goes back home for a spell. We will pick her up and Darlene will the get her on her way back from her visit north. I guess God knew that I would not be able to handle that situation and steered me in another direction that would make more sense all around.

Of course, the sisters all think that I did this on purpose. I told Karen about the possibility that I would have to be gone to Sarasota for about a week and a half - and she was seriously concerned about that long time of being gone and being new to the job. Bob talked it out with Darlene and the new scenario developed so that if the job came to be, mom would be up here with us and Bob will take half days in the afternoon to be with her. Bottom line, a long term solution needs to happen since she cannot stay by herself and Darlene cannot be there indefinitely. She really needs to go to assisted living so that she can have the help that she needs to get dressed, bathe, and fix meals. Her RA is so bad in her hands that she cannot open things most of the time and cannot zip or button clothing. She is strong otherwise and can get around with her oxygen but just cannot really do everything for herself and needs the help. It is just plain crazy for Darlene to be there 24/7 for months on end. Another solution needs to come about with all four of the kids (Bill, Diane, Darlene and Bob) agreeing to a permanent location for their mother and then getting her to do it. Maybe with her coming up here, we can have her see what the Village is like and then get her to agree that assisted living isn't so bad after all. If she needs to sell her place for the expense of assisted living - so be it. It is for her care and health anyway. She only weighs 96 pounds soaking wet and if she gets sick with anything at all, that will probably be the final straw for her. Just pray that this whole thing gets taken care of in the long term.

1 comment:

Amanda B. said...

I am glad everything is working out- I bet you will really enjoy your new job. And, it does sound great that Bob's mom will be coming there instead. It probably would be a good idea to talk about/show her around the assisted living place. You are right that Darlene can't do that forever and it is awesome she has done it this long. I wish you the best of luck!!!! (now, if I could find a way to bring more money in here without leaving the house.....and not babysitting..... wish me luck there!)